Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Assumptions

I'm hiding at my desk right now trying to stop the tears from flowing. Every time I think about Mikes accident I get so angry that I start to cry. Writing about the days in the hospital helped me to not harbor on those thoughts as much so I am hoping that writing this out will help with my anger. Before I start talking about the accident I want to make it clear that we do not know for sure what happened. This is what I believe happened from putting the pieces together....

According to the witness statement on the police report Mike was speeding. Which is not unusual for Mike, he was a very fast aggressive drive. The car in front of Mike had a trailer attached to it and Mike hit the trailer, lost control and hit the median 3 times while spinning and ended up upside down. The police report stated that the accident happened at 6:36 am. Mike got a text from his roommate at 6:35 am telling him to go straight to the job site because he had his hard hat. So what I believe happened was that he was reading this text when he hit the car in front of him. You don't just hit a car in front of you on the highway unless your eyes are not on the road. I saw photos of the car and the driver side looked fine. You can see that the car definitely rolled over on the passenger side but the car itself is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. There was some damage on the passenger side but the car was not smashed in like I expected it would be. Another witness that came to help Mike stated that Mike was on the passenger side of the car. Now if someone was wearing their seat belt they would not have ended up on the passenger side of the car. And the driver side of the car was FINE! So in this situation I believe that he was not wearing his seat belt. He did not break any bones, only had one small cut on the bottom of his chin. He hit his head just hard enough to knock him out which is what ultimately caused his death.

So from the pieces of information here and there I think Mike was reading a text and not wearing his seat belt. In my eyes, my son lost his father to that! I am so livid with the whole situation and so angry with Mike! This could have easily been prevented! I will admit that I am guilty of texting while driving but NEVER again! No text is worth someones life! And everyone knows that seat belts save lives so WHY in the world would you not wear one!!!!! I know that there is nothing that can be done to change what happened but I still have so much anger. My 4 year old son lost his father, someone who he loved with all his heart, over something so stupid as this. It absolutely breaks my heart! Now could I be 100% wrong on what happened? ABSOLUTELY! I really don't think from the facts that I have that I am wrong, but I have been wrong plenty of times before!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. I think anger is 100% normal. Keep writing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hug* I'm with Helen. Keep writing it out.

    ReplyDelete