Saturday, August 20, 2011

Quick Update

So much has happened these past two weeks that I really dont know where to start. Mason and I have definitely been busy little bees. He started therapy last week and has had two sessions now. I really dont know if he needs to continue with it because he is doing so much better now. I dont think it was from the therapy though because this past wednesday was the first one on one sessions he had and he was doing better even before that. He went two weeks of being SO bad like I posted before and now he is getting all greens at school! I have been signing him up for all the Field Trips so he goes on about 2-3 a week and I think that is definitely helping him to burn off some of his energy. I also am not a huge fan of Masons counselor. Within the first 20 minutes of the first session she told me that 6 months before Mason starts Kindergarten I need to get him in to see a Neurologist to get his ADHD diagnoses and get him on meds. The first session was just me and the counselor talking about what happened while Mason was in the corner playing with toys so she really didnt even interact with him. Now I have no doubt that Mason has ADHD, I have always thought this and his dad had ADHD too. But telling me after 20 minutes that I need to get my 4 year old on meds so he can calm down just doesnt really sit well with me. I talked with his daycare to see if his hyperactivity is affecting him with his school work there and they said no, he is just like every other little 4 year old boy there. The owner has ADD and so does his son and he told me to definitely wait on putting Mason on meds bc he is way too young. I completely agree with this. Now if they had told me that his hyperactivity is affecting him negatively at school then yes I would absolutely consider putting him on meds. But if its not affecting him right now then I see no reason to dope him up!
I also started school this week! One of my classes is Research Writing and I got my topic approved! My topic is.....The Pros and Cons of Meds for Kids with ADHD! So if Mason does indeed need meds down the road I can make an educated decision. I really cant tell you how excited that it makes me to know that in a few short weeks I will be a Pro on this topic! I already have had several people say they want to read my paper so when I am done with it I will post it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment