Wednesday, December 30, 2009

~Cardboard Testimony~

So on Christmas Eve I participated in my Church's (Watermark) Christmas Eve Service doing the Cardboard Testimony. This was a huge deal for me to put myself out there like this. I will get to the reasoning of why in a minute. If you don't know what a Cardboard Testimony is they are pretty moving. During the service a song is played and one person is on stage at a time. The front of their cardboard says what their life was like before they had Christ in their life and then they flip it and the back says what their life is like now that they found Christ. I was really worried that after everyone saw my "dirty laundry" they would judge me and I was also extremely worried that I would trip and fall on my face in front of everyone! Luckily neither of those happened! So the pictures arent the best but here it goes....Here is what the front of my board said...


And then here is what the back said...


So there you have it. I spent over two years of my life addicted to drugs. I was at the lowest of lows during that time and was wasting away. Finally one day I woke up and decided enough was enough and I quit that day. My withdrawls were pretty bad and I had noone to help me through them. I couldnt have my friends around because at the time all my friends did drugs. And my parents couldnt help me because they had no idea what was going on. I spent a good week in my room just laying there because I had no energy to get up so I would pray. Its funny how no matter how lost you get and how sinful you are God never gives up on you. He truly helped me through one of the roughest times in my life.
So back to the reason why I did the Carboard Testimony. I have this passion for wanting to talk to teens and young adults who are going down the path that I went down. I want to share my testimony with them and let them know there really is more to life than that. The first step for me was to put myself out there and let people know they are not alone. So by doing this testimony I think I took that first step in putting myself out there! It was definitely nerve wrecking but I am so happy that I did it. I hope I touched at least one person out there by doing it!
Being that I am an ex-drug addict, divorced, single mom I definitely get judged on a daily basis. But yet my relationship with God is stronger than it ever has been before. Funny how things work out, huh. So one of the reasons that motivated me to go back to school, besides to give my son a better life, was because I want to show people that it really is possible to go from who I WAS to who I AM. I am really excited to be able to share that with others and help them on their journey. Its not easy but with the help of others and most importantly with the help of God anything is possible!

10 comments:

  1. Wow- What an awesome story, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I am truly in awe :)
    big hugs for your bravery and courage - and continued strength for your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved you and I always will. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a challenging thing to do in front of an entire congregation, but to know you are stronger day by day after putting yourself out there is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been moved by the Cardboard Testimonies.. They are always so real, raw, and heartfelt. How brave of you to stand in front of many and share your past mistakes. A lot of people wouldn't do that..I am glad that you have been found by Christ and that thru him.. your life have been made new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing testimony! God bless you and give you strength as you continue on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post moved me! What a wonderful thing you shared with everyone. ~ angela (single mom of 3)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a truly heroic thing to do Kristen. I'm so incredibly happy for you and so grateful for God's enduring and unending love. Very, very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, just read your post, so awesome!! I have been attending Watermark since we moved here from Kentucky. I love it! I am so glad they have a great kids ministry too : )

    ReplyDelete